Center for Intellectual Property rights and technology
Intellectual Property (IP) is a creation of mind and it confers right to the creator by the law towards the exclusive use of his creation. Though this right is granted for a certain period, the exclusive nature of it makes it significant. In India IP law has undergone a significant change due to TRIPS, which has a direct impact on legal regime pertains to patents, copyrights, designs, trademarks, geographical indications etc. There is a close relationship between IPRs and technology. The existing IP and IT laws were amended from time to time to be on par with changes technological changes globally. In recent years Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) and Technology Laws emerged as the most important policy instruments. With its growing presence, however, it has also been subjected to intense criticism. Moreover, the structure of the institution itself has undergone periodic changes with incorporations of newer subject matters into its ambit. It is the endeavour of the CIPR&T to become the beacon in the field of Intellectual Property Rights and Technology Law by encouraging synthesis of knowledge and best practices cutting across academia, practitioners and research fraternity.
Rationale for Establishment of CIPR & Technology
Intellectual Property Rights and Technology related laws is still a developing field in the country, but its reach and importance simply cannot be ignored. IPRs and technology laws touches several types of industries and businesses, ranging from pharmaceutical industry to start-up and even small-time innovators. For promoting of research, extension and training in the field of intellectual property rights and technology DSNLU intends to establish a Centre in its campus. This Centre will incentivize innovative and cutting-edge academic research in the field of IP Laws, Technology Laws and conducting various training and extension activities for creating more awareness in the field of IPRs and technology.
Objectives of the CIPR & T
- To create a platform for creation, protection, analysis, valuation, licensing, education, policy formulation in the field of IPRs and Technology.
- To serve as a ‘think tank’ to provide policy inputs on IPRs and Technology at national, regional and international level.
- To do research on inter-disciplinary aspectsof IPR and Technology by involving multi stake holders.
- To disseminate information on social, ethical, legal and economic aspects of IPRs and Technology.
- To engage in capacity building and providing inputs on IPRsand Technology to policy makers including judiciary.
- To support/assist Government of India in international negotiations before WTO and UN, WIPO and ITU.
“To foster innovation and encourage Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) and technology law related activities in the widest amplitude to bring together Educational Institutions, Research Institutes, State Instrumentalities & Corporate Entities to facilitate conducive environment in the domain of academia, consultancy and research.”
- To provide effective research and policy inputs in the field of IPRs and technology.
- To undertake consultancy from various organizations.
- To facilitate filing of patent application for inventions of teachers and researchers of all the Universities in Andhra Pradesh and extends support to scientists, industrialistsand other technical experts from outside in obtaining different forms of IP protection.
- To undertake various research projects from Government, Industries and NGOS.
- To publish books, research papers, working papers and monographs.
- To organize various seminars, conferences and workshops on emerging issues on Intellectual Property Law and Technology.
- To conduct training programmes for judges, professionals, scientists, students of other Universities in India on Intellectual Property Law and Technology.
- To create knowledge resources in IPRs and Technology.
- To conduct extensive research on contemporary areas on IPRs and Technology.
- To conduct different types of academic programmes including full time Ph. D programmes, LL.M programmes, certificate, PG diploma courses on IPRs and Technologyrelated issues.
Verticals of CIPR &Technology
(i)Training Centre on IPRs and Technology
- It will act as the point of reference for knowledge building on IP protection and enforcement.
- It raises awareness on IP among law enforcement officers about the economic impact of IP, including its violations, in order to convince them to consider it as a priority area in their strategic planning.
- Provides Government officers (and their trainers) with a unique, user-friendly, one-stop platform for IPR and Technology Laws.
(ii) Cell on IPRs and Technology
- To file patents.
- Preparation of Technology Transfer Agreements.
- Preparation of agreements for research collaboration.
- Opinion to the Universities on IPRs and Technology Law issues.
(iii) Journal of IPRs & Technology
It is a peer review journal willpublish articles on contemporary areas of IPRs and Technology.
(iv) Clinic on IPRs & Technology
This Clinic is a legal clinic that counsel’s startup and ongoing businesses on securing, maintaining, protecting, and enforcing their intellectual property rights, including rights in patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and copyrights. The Clinic will give an opportunity to put legal theory to practice and allow students to gain first-hand experience and become more adept in legal research on real-life issues; client counseling; administrative, transactional and litigation procedures; case management; and formulating strategies to advance the client’s goals and objectives. The student will act as real lawyers, for real clients, with real IPRs and Technology Law issues. In doing so, it will help students to learn client counseling and startups on the formation of a corporate entity and agreements needed to start a business; will perform patentability and patent infringement searches; will perform trademark searches; will counsel clients on the patentability of his or her invention, the strength of a trademark and the best trademarks to choose, and how to avoid infringing upon the rights of others; and will draft patent and trademark applications for filing with the Indian Patent and Trademark Office. The Clinic provides free legal counseling and services on IP matters to individuals, start-ups and small business having limited financial resources. Examples of the services provided by the IP Clinic are general IP counseling; patent searches and patentability advice; trademark searches and advice on choosing a strong trademark; preparing and filing patent, trademark, and copyright applications; counseling on patent and trademark infringement issues; and IP-related agreements and licensing. These services are provided by students of DSNLU under the supervision of the Chairperson of the CIPR and Technology. The Clinic does not charge for its services, however, Clients are responsible for all fees owed to the Indian Patent & Trademark Office or Copyright Office for the filing of any patent, trademark or copyright applications and any prosecution process, as well as drafting fees (at cost) that may be necessary in filing certain patent applications.
ABOUT TEAM CIPR
Dr. P. SreeSudha (Faculty Convener)
P.Jogi Naidu (Faculty Advisor)
G. Manish Kumar
D. Rajasri Reddy
Katari Devi Nandini